Sunday, August 19, 2018

The year you would of started Kindergarten



Dear Jude,

     Last Thursday, as we waited for your bus, we were joined by the neighbor kids who were preparing for the arrival of their school bus.  It was the first day of the 2018-2019 school year.  This would have been the year you started Kindergarten. I remember a parent of a special needs child telling me milestones, like Kindergarten, can be difficult.
     A few weeks ago, you got on the school bus and continued on the route. Afterwards, I sat on the front porch rocking your brother. Minutes later, your bus drove by, heading to school. As the bus passed our house, I saw you in the window.  You were smiling and looking with delight because you spotted our house. Instantly, I started to cry. Partly because we never got to enjoy slow days when you were baby, like I do with your brother. We spent most of our time fighting past illness and healing from surgeries and procedures. Mainly I cried tears of joy because I am so very, very proud of you. Every day, since you were 4 years old, you climb the big bus steps (with the help of practicing in physical therapy), greet your bus driver and aides with a smile, and ride 30 minutes to school. At school, you’ve learned and are continuing to learn how to communicate, master self-care skills, engage with other students, fine tune your feeding, and learn other skills that will help you become more independent. Most importantly, you greet everyone with your infectious smile and love of life. As a parent, I couldn’t ask for anything more.
     Though I appreciate the sentiment, that the year you would of started Kindergarten could of been difficult, it just isn't for us. As we stood on the driveway waiting for the bus, I stood proudly because you are doing exactly what you were meant to do...with that beautiful smile on your face!

Love, 
Mom

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful story from an amazing mother. You inspire me to be better every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you can update soon. My son just got the 15q24 dx, but with a substitution. He does have similar symptoms as your son, but he’s 20 months. I would love to hear how things are progressing for you. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete